If you’ve been looking for a great spice and herb rub for hearty steaks like New York strip, ribeye, or skirt steaks — here it is! It’s also a great addition to meatloaf or burgers.
- 3 tbsp smoked paprika
- ¼ cup Milton’s Own Peppered Maple Sugar
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
NOTE: if you don’t have Milton’s Own Peppered Maple Sugar, you can use 2 tbsp Milton’s Own Maple Sugar and 2 tbsp ground black pepper)
- Mix all the ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
- Using paper towels, pat your steak until it’s dry.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of rub on one side of the steak.
- Rub the spice blend into the steak.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Your steak is ready to grill. However, to take full advantage of this flavorful rub, let it sit at room temperature for an hour or cover it and let it sit overnight in the fridge for an even more robust flavor.
- When you’re ready to grill, place the steaks on the grill and cook until brown and slightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the steaks over and continue to grill 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare (an internal temperature of 135°F), 5 to 7 minutes for medium (140°F), or 8 to 10 minutes for medium-well (150°F).
- Store the spice blend in a small air-tight container.
- You can store this rub for up to a year.