Maple Sugar Apple Pie
Using your favorite piecrust recipe, make this Vermont filling variation on a family favorite.
- 6 apples (about 3 pounds), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup Milton’s Own™ Maple Sugar
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup Milton’s Own™ Maple Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- Use a pre-made piecrust or follow the directions for your favorite piecrust recipe.
- While the piecrust is in the oven, prepare the filling. In a large bowl, mix together the apples, maple sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt.
- Next, prepare the topping. In a bowl, mix topping dry ingredients. Cut 1-1/2 sticks chilled unsalted butter into pieces. Using a pastry cutter or your hands, work in butter pieces, until large clumps form.
- When the piecrust is ready, remove the foil and weights. Fill the crust with an even layer of the apple mixture. Place small dots of butter pieces the apples.
- Sprinkle mixture over apple filling
- Loosely cover pie with aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes — until top is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- Transfer the pie to a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes before serving.
For an extra touch of Vermont, serve with slices of Vermont Cheddar Cheese.