A maple flavor sweetness gives an unexpected twist to a mildly spicy sauce. Adjust the recipe to create your own barbeque sauce for a heat level that hits home for you.
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup Milton’s Own™ Maple Sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, for about 1 hour 15 minutes or until desired thickness.
- After 15 minutes of simmering, taste your sauce. If desired, adjust the flavor by adding (in small increments) more of the spices you prefer. Taste again after the flavors have had a chance to blend.
NOTE: For those who like a hotter sauce, add dashes of your favorite hot sauce. Try starting with two dashes and add more to your taste. You could also substitute chili powder for the black pepper.
NOTE: For a different twist, try splitting the cider to ¼ cup cider and ¼ cup bourbon.