Two great Vermont flavors — blueberries and maple — come together to create this delicious treat.
Ingredients for the Base & Crumble Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup old-fashioned oats (NOTE: Don’t use quick oats or instant oats.)
- 1¼ cup firmly packed Milton’s Own™ Maple Sugar (NOTE: If less sweetness is desired, reduce sugar by ¼ cup.)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
Ingredients for the Blueberry Layer:
- 2 cup blueberries fresh or frozen (NOTE: It’s better to thaw frozen blueberries.)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup Milton’s Own™ Maple Sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Prepare the oatmeal base and topping
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, oatmeal, Milton’s Own™ Maple Sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Gently stir in the melted butter & egg yolk.
(Note: If the mixture feels too buttery, add an extra tablespoon of flour.)
- Remove about 1 cup (not packed) of the mixture and mix with the brown sugar.
- Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
(NOTE: If you prefer, you can line an 8”x8” baking pan with parchment paper leaving an overhang around the edges.)
- In a medium bowl stir together the berries, Milton’s Own™ Maple Sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch until the berries are coated.
Assembly and Baking
- Spoon the berry mixture over the oatmeal base.
- Crumble the reserved oatmeal mixture over top of the blueberry layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 45-55 minutes or until you see the blueberries bubbling and the top crumble turning golden brown. If you used unthawed, frozen berries, the bake time will be closer to 50-60 minutes.
- Cool the bars fully in the pan until they’re at room temperature.
- Cut into conveniently size bars. If you used parchment, lift them out of the pan using the overhang of the parchment paper/aluminum foil.